Monday, December 7, 2009

Nabokov- Keats- Soul

I have been working on my term paper for what seems like an eternity and continuously get stuck with a lot of random, yet intriguing points that do not really seem to connect. I am liking Nabokov, BUT I am in LOVE with Keats. I do not even fully understand Keats but just his name raises excitement within me (yes...perhaps SOME of you may consider me a "nerd"). I think not.

The letters in which Keats talks about "The Vale of Soul making" are so complex yet exciting. He discusses the two chambers in which the soul is, for lack of better word, developed. The soul is like a personality, each person has their own unique soul that forms based on thoughts and experiences. The first chamber is the infant chamber in which there are no thoughts...I will expand on this in my term paper, but to keep it short, this chamber makes me think of Lolita. Lolita is still young and is stuck in this chamber "Developing" she has not yet fully reached the scond chamber to experience the pain or suffering but does eventually move into that chamber. Hazel in Pale fire is in the second chamber because she does feel pain and suffering. clearly, she takes her own life, she was unable to move onto the passages of light beyond the second chamber where mystery awaits.

Music is over....I will continue this later...

No comments:

Post a Comment