Saturday, December 12, 2009

Frye's levels of interpretation

Nabokov: Obsessive compulsive, hinged (similar to Edgar Allan Poe)

Dr. Sexson began talking about Northrup Frye and Plato on our last day of class. While I enjoy reading Plato's argument against poetry, he upsets me to some degree. Plato bans poets, referring to them as crazy, liars- out of their minds. Thankfully, my spirits were lifted when Dr. Sexson mentioned Northrup Frye, whom I consider to be one of the most interesting people that I have studied thus far in my english education (let'so omit Keats from this statement, we all know he tops the charts). Northrup Frye calls to attention out level of interpretation including: literal, analogical, moral and of course anagogical. The ultimate level of interpretation of any text is the anagogical- by that he means the mystical. A level of timelessness which Nabokov Of course believes in. This also reminds me of Keats, why wouldn't it?! You only get through this level (the vale is lifted) through divine madness...poets. The 3rd existential level, speaking to us across our own death (Hazel Shade). What lies beyond that level (or can I say Vale)?

No comments:

Post a Comment